ADVICE FROM AN AWARDED BRIDAL STYLIST
The year 2020 has been one for the record books…especially for those lucky couples that have been planning their dream wedding. That’s why it is even more important to ensure the details of your wedding early on so you can still have control over something! One thing that you can shop early for is your wedding dress. I am going to share with you some of the best advice you can get for wedding gown shopping from a pro bridal stylist from Norman’s Bridal located in Springfield Missouri. Her name is Patty Smulski and she has been making wedding gown dreams come true for almost six years! In 2018, she also was awarded the Stylist of the Year award which is an international contest! Here is some of her best advice for those brides to be:
QUESTION: WHAT SHOULD I BRING TO MY APPOINTMENT?
A: “Brides should be prepared with inspiration photos of what she would like to look like on her wedding day. In addition, she should also bring any under garments she thinks she might want to wear underneath her dress, a scrunchie for her hair (sometimes it gets hot trying on all these dresses) and most importantly a great attitude for the day!”
QUESTION:WHO DO I BRING WITH ME?
A: “I always recommend bringing no more than 3-4 people with you to your appointment for one reason. The reason, more people equals more opinions which most of the time ends up confusing and frustrating the bride instead of helping her. If you are having a difficult time deciding who to bring, ask yourself who are the most important people I can’t imagine doing this day without. There are plenty of other times that other friends and family can see the dress you pick out before the wedding day.”
QUESTION:WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT DURING MY APPOINTMENT?
A: “My appointments run something like this. First the bride and I will talk about when, where and what they are planning the wedding to look like and what she hopes to look like. This is when we would go over any inspiration pictures she has found or pictures of gowns she wishes to try. Next, we pull about three to four dresses to start with to help determine the silhouette the bride likes best and then we narrow down the smaller details that the bride likes/dislikes until we find the one!
QUESTION:WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD I BE PREPARED TO ANSWER?
A: “Typical questions that normally come up during a bride’s appointment are things like what kind of wedding are they planning? (Rustic, destination, church, outdoor, modern etc.) What is the bride’s personal style like? One question the bride should ALWAYS be prepared to answer is: What is her budget or what price point is she comfortable with? The worst appointments are the ones where girls try on a gown that is over her price point, falls in love with it and then can’t find anything that compares to that one and is forced to settle.”
QUESTION:WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR BRIDES?
A: “Here are my top 7 tips for a successful shopping experience”
1. Be open minded – You may come in with pictures of things that you think you like and end up leaving with something completely different and that is OK. Don’t be afraid to try on something that is different. You never know what it is going to look like once you get it on.
2. Don’t book a day full of appointments – Take one appointment at a time. Not every bride goes to multiple stores before finding her dress. After a while, you will start to notice that the gowns start to blur together and you can’t remember which ones you liked or disliked. The goal is to find a gown that makes you feel special and if that happens at the first store then GREAT!
3. Don’t put pressure on yourself – This is YOUR day. Don’t let other people’s opinions pressure you into something. Odds are you will regret it later on.
4. Remember not all girls cry – Everybody reacts differently when they find their gown. If you aren’t an emotional crier normally then don’t be alarmed or worried when you don’t cry in your wedding gown. Some people cry, laugh, jump up and down but everybody is different and again that is OK.
5. BE ON TIME! – Most bridal stores book appointments back to back therefore if you aren’t on time you run the risk of not getting to have a full appointment. You also don’t need to arrive more than 5-10 minutes early.
6. Expect alterations – Wedding gowns are made to a standard size specification but as we know women are not. 99% of brides will need some kind of alterations done to their gown to make it fit perfectly. Always keep that in mind while shopping.
7. Be open and honest with your stylist – Your stylist is there for YOU. Being honest with her about price, feelings, or anything will help her better understand what you are searching for and in the end, help you find your perfect gown.
If you live near southwest Missouri, the team of experts at Normans Bridal are here to help. Not only will our experienced consultants help you find a dress that’s beautiful and flattering, but they can also help you assemble an entire wedding look from the dress to jewelry and hair accessories. Stop by our downtown Springfield store when you’re ready to start shopping, and give us a call at 417-866-9800 if you have any questions. Be sure to visit our website to view our wide selection of wedding, bridesmaid and prom dresses. In addition, follow us on Facebook and Instagram to see the latest arrivals and events.